Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Clean Up in the Kitchen

No, I didn't spill something in my floor and need to clean it up.  I cleaned up my eating routine last week and guess what...I'm feeling amazing, super energized, and way less bloated.  Who knew that food really impacted how you feel?!?!?!?!

For those of you that have been following recently, I talked about joining my accountability group after deciding that I needed a change from the gym.  Recently, I joined a 5 day clean eating challenge that ended Easter weekend (thank goodness, because I needed a jelly bean or 20).  The challenge was within our group and it was amazing to see all of the recipe posts and pictures of delicious whole food that people would post.   We had a fun little Facebook group that kept us right on track with each daily meal plan.

Here is what I've learned about eating clean.  I feel like a lot of people out there are nervous to do it because it can be a little expensive (especially if you have kids), but it's not terrible.  It does require cooking and prepping, which is key. It's also challenging if your spouse/mate/partner in this thing called life is a bit of an unhealthy eater.

Let's take my hubs for example.  

You guys know J. (I love this picture, isn't he handsome with his Don Draper hair?)


Jarrett is like a straight up man's man, that likes to eat pretty much all things meat and potatoes. Or rice, he grew up with lots or rice, macaroni and cheese, and ham.  That was pretty much our Easter Dinner this past weekend.  Nothing wrong with that, but it's hard to cook like that all the time.  


He also like cigars and beer.  See? Man's man. 

Anyway, last week's challenge was interesting because I knew that J wouldn't love things like brown rice and spinach.  I tried to bulk up on the meat portions for him and reserve more veggies for myself.  You know what though, he did ok with it.  I can't really control what he eats outside of the house, but at home, he's mostly eating what I cook.  We eat lots of sweet potatoes now.  He does eat brown rice if I make it, I just have to cook it long enough.  Crunch rice = unhappy spouse.  I asked him what kind of veggies he likes and he's good with broccoli, squash and zucchini.  No asparagus or brussell sprouts though.  

The point I'm trying to make is that you can still eat healthy and meet the needs of your loved ones.  I'm not super extreme to the point that I force feed him green beans, but I do care that we live long and healthy lives.  Even on the days that we can't make it to the gym, I can feel good about the fact that I cooked a really healthy and hearty meal at night.

I read a blog post that said it best this morning "I'm eating for fuel".  SO FREAKING TRUE.  How many of us eat for comfort? Or because we are having a bad day? Or because we're just bored and want to shove office candy in our mouths?

It's all about control you guys.  When you're out of control in your life, you'll eat that way too.  You'll stuff your face and gut until you're miserable, and then keep going.  

So here's the deal.  This time last year, I went to my doctor and realized I was 30 pounds away from 200 pounds.  It was eye opening and super life changing.  Since then, I've gone through some extreme highs and lows of fitness and emotional eating.  I was supposed to go to my new doctor today and see how that had changed, but my schedule conflicted, so that's been pushed back to May.

Meaning I have ANOTHER month for the slim down, bikini/beach season AND to see what progress I've made.  Totally stoked, a little nervous, but I know that it will be eye opening to see how things go a month from now.

They say it takes 30 days to form a habit.  Well, I'm already a week in and loving how I feel.  How do you guys cook healthy and balance your life with whole foods? What's your new favorite recipe you can share that tastes good AND makes you feel good?

Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment