Sunday, February 15, 2015

Life as of Lately...and 22 week update!


Hey guys! So sorry for the long hiatus! I know it's been more than a few weeks, but it's been a rather rough January and I'm glad that February is treating us better.  For those of you that follow my regular Facebook, you know a bit about this, but here's life as of lately for the Davis Clan.


Mid-January, we moved to our new house! YAY!

But, moving was a struggle with being about 15-16 weeks pregnant and we had to make a really tough decision about Boone.  As soon as we moved, his anxiety went to an all time high and we just knew it was time to return him to his former rescue.  It was one of the saddest days of my life.  We were coming home everyday (in the new and old place) to torn up doors, windows, and eventually, the new couch we had purchased.  We didn't have enough time with him.  He had been super anxious and into everything over the holidays and all but became Snot from Christmas Vacation by destroying Jarrett's parent's guest bathroom.  I still can't talk about it without getting a little choked up, because I'm already emotional (stupid hormones). I miss his howls and taking him on walks, but, we knew that he needed a home with other dogs and with people that would have the time to love him.  We miss him dearly, as he was a part of our first year of marriage, and he was a part of the adventure.  Our home is definitely a little more quiet these days.  

Boone's departure was followed up by all 3 of our grandparents having some sad things happen.  Jarrett's grandmother "Nanny" suffered a stroke which left her in a hospital for about 2 weeks. The very next week, his grandfather, "Pop", passed away suddenly from a massive cerebral hemorrhage.  We were all unprepared for the tragic circumstance of his passing.  We have all rallied around Nanny in the past few weeks, and she as greatly improved, PRAISE THE LORD! But I know it's been hard for her to come home to a house that previously contained one of the greatest men I've known in my life.  He reminded me so much of my Gramps.  He had the best Harry Carry glasses and wonderful advice and he loved me like a granddaughter he had known all of his life.   He loved his family fiercely, was a solid Christian example to everyone around him, and I'm honored to have been a part of that, if only for 4 years.  I smile thinking about how he got to see our house before he passed, and offered Jarrett good advice for cleaning up under our big oak tree :) 


In the midst of all of this, my grandmother "Granny" was diagnosed with MDS (same thing Robin Roberts had), and at 96, will not be seeking treatment. She's needing additional care where she is right now.  We knew that Granny had been slowing down for the past 5 years.  She has restless leg syndrome and she was in so much pain lately, that a trip to the hospital finally revealed what's probably been going on for a long time.  Like Nanny, she's really strong and independent, and it's hard to know that she's suffering.  Just the last time I saw her before Christmas, we were out shopping for shoes.  I cherish those moments with her, even now more than ever.  She has been super excited about her newest great grandbaby, and I hope to visit her in the next few weeks to bring her some cheer. 

So as you've probably pulled out the tissues reading all of that sadness, there is some light and love in the midst of tragedy. Jarrett and I had our gender appointment right after Pop passed away.  We needed to see this baby so bad and fount out that we're having a little girl!!!  (Side note, I feel like I look LARGE and in charge in this photo).  We had planned a gender reveal party that weekend following our appointment. All of our friends and family showed up for this and it was the first time we had used our house for any type of get together and it was a wonderful event.   Our neighbors stopped by.  It was amazing.  My sister in law and cousin in law planned an amazing Cheerleader or Quarterback themed party and it was so fun!  I'll post the video to the Facebook page for Chubby Spin Instructor.  We already knew she was a girl, and wanted to share that moment earlier in the week, but it was so fun to surprise all of the special people in our lives.  The grandmothers and aunts are pretty pumped about a girl, as are the grandfathers.  My dad was really hoping for a grandson, but, I think this baby will be his special sidekick and outdoor buddy.  She's already very loved and we were blown away at the sweet housewarming and nursery gifts.  My heart is at its fullest these days and I could not be happier.  Miss Thang is going to have her daddy wrapped around her little finger.

She does have a name that we've decided on.  Lila Evelyn Davis, and we'll call her Lila-Eve as a double name (it's a southern thing, I couldn't resist). There is special meaning behind her name.  She's named for my dad's grandmother, Mamie Lila (and my Aunt Rendy is also Lila), and Evelyn is my sweet Granny's name.  I wanted to honor her somehow since she's my only living grandparents left in my family and such a special part of my life.  When she heard the news, she was happy and shocked that I wanted to use "such an old lady name".  She's s trip.  If L.E. is anything like the 2 women she's named for, then she'll be independent, probably a good bit stubborn, but will love life to the fullest.  The way this baby jumps around all the time, I'm pretty sure she's having a blast in there right now.

As I bring this post to a close, I think about the fact that we're having a daughter, and I think about the women in my life as of lately and how strong they are.  My mom has been on the road and by her mother's side making the best decisions for her, all while being there for me and Jarrett in the midst of so many hard times.  I can't begin to thank her enough.  And I want to tell her to sleep for a week, I don't know how she's done it.

Jarrett's mom Daphne was a complete rock in the midst of two difficult situations with her parents.  I've never seen someone be so strong in the face of chaos and I admire her toughness more and more each day.  I know the entire ordeal exhausted her, as she split time between work and caring for her mother.  I've been amazed at what she can do.  (and she needs to sleep too, we ALL need a nap).

Jarrett's sister Kendra...I don't even have words.  A doctor, a strong decision maker, a good friend to me and a wonderful sister in law.  I couldn't have been more blessed to have been around her in the past few weeks.  We don't get to see each other often, but she is a great aunt and is so excited to spoil Miss L.E. And has also been a rock for her family.

My sister Jessica.  She works hard, is a big important lady in her career, but she always has time for me.  She always finds ways to treat me no matter what I'm going through.  She wanted to be a part of my 16 week appointment and sat in the room to hear Lila-Eve's heartbeat and I just can't forget the joy on her face.   We may be 13 years apart, but we're as close as Irish twins.

Nanny and Granny...both have suffered major physically challenging events in the past 2 weeks and are having to fully rely on family now for everyday care.  I can't imagine how hard that is.   They are also doing it without their spouses around, and that thought humbles me every time.  I don't even know what I would do without J. Even in their later years, I'm blown away at what they can do for themselves.

And last but not least, I can't leave out my dear friend Steph.  In 6 weeks, she's become a first time mom and transitioned into that role with all the challenges that come with a new baby.  She's had good days and bad days, has called me in the midst of both, and we've laughed and cried together.  Just yesterday, she called me SUPER stoked that she was going to the grocery store alone and was so happy to just get out by herself.  It was so good to hear the "bubble" back in her voice! Our babies will be 6 months apart and I'm thrilled for them to grow up together.  Five years ago, we were traveling the world, going to Vegas, and having the time of our lives.  Now, we're married and starting families.  When I think about how she's taken on this role as a new mommy head first, I'm so proud of her.  She has always been strong and independent, but now, I truly see how strong a mother has to be for her child.  And my sweet little nephew Nicholas is one blessed child with her around (and Mikey too, I can't leave him out, but this is more for the ladies).

For the ones of you that read this blog (and I know it's mostly females), I applaud you for the hard things you have to go through.  Being pregnant has not been easy and I've definitely had my meltdowns and weak moments.  But I've also worked a full time job, dealt with hard personal circumstances, and managed to somehow still be around.  The moments we all want to crumble, we have to find the right resolve.  In the past 4 weeks, I've learned more about myself and what I want out of life than ever before.  And I see my blog taking on a new life in that.  I feel like my posts will have new meaning.  I may not post about working out as much.  I may post more about advice on family and budgets, and how to just be happy in general.  I can't say for sure where this is going, but as my life emerges into something new, so does my writing and the purpose for this space.

Much love to you all that have sent cards, texts and been a part of a tough few weeks for us.  Jarrett and I are truly blessed with amazing friends and family.

Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment